The Financial Markets Department of the Bank of Canada is organizing a two-day conference on collateral, liquidity, and central bank operations. It will take place at the Bank of Canada in Ottawa on September 11 and 12, 2014 (immediately preceding the Northern Finance Association annual meetings). The conference offers central bankers, researchers, policy-makers, and practitioners an opportunity to discuss the observed and future effects of financial reform, both on central bank operations and on the functioning of financial markets.
The keynote speakers at the event will be:
– Viral Acharya (C.V. Starr Professor of Economics, Stern School of Business)
– Morten Bech (Principal Economist, Bank for International Settlements)
The conference will feature research presentations with designated discussants, as well as two panel discussions. The panels will be comprised of practitioners, and members of central banks and the regulatory community.
TOPICS: We invite you to submit theoretical and empirical research related to repo markets and central bank operations, as well as collateral and liquidity, with a view towards the impact of regulation. We welcome papers related, but not limited, to the following topics:
– repo, securities lending, and other collateralized funding markets
– margin requirements and collateral haircuts
– collateral demand derived from new regulations
– risk accumulation in collateralized markets
– Basel III
– implementation of monetary policy
– market structure and liquidity, and the impact of regulatory reforms
PAPER SUBMISSION PROCEDURE: Authors may submit drafts of completed papers in pdf format to [email protected] The deadline for submission is 16 May 2014. The Program Committee will select papers for presentation and notify authors by early June 2014. There is no conference fee, and a limited reimbursement will be offered to presenters and discussants.
Michael Mueller (Bank of Canada)
Jorge Cruz Lopez (Bank of Canada)
Adrian Walton (Bank of Canada)